Why I don't re-read books

I have been reading for as long as I can remember. It almost feels as if I was never actually taught how to read, I was just born knowing how and haven't put a book down since.

But now, as the grand old age of 21 draws nearer, I realised I have never read the same book twice. Sure, there's the exception of compulsory reading for school (I'm pretty sure I've read Jane Eyre at least 4 times by now) but that's it. So why don't I like re-reading books?

Where's the suspense?

Whenever I consider re-reading a book, I quickly dismiss the idea because of the obvious ... I already know what's going to happen. Wouldn't that be boring? I don't think I would enjoy it as much the second time round if I knew what the big plot twist is going to be. It's not like I will be on the edge of my seat, hanging on to every last word. This is especially true with plot-driven stories that have a lack of world building and character development (like We Were Liars, for example) - it wouldn't be any fun.

What if I ruin it?

If I have a really fond memory of a book I would never re-read it. I know lots of Harry Potter fans re-read the series over and over again because of nostalgia and the warm comfort it gives them to revisit a book from their childhood... But what if I read my favourite book for a second time and realise all the negative parts I didn't notice before? What if my favourite book then becomes my least favourite book?

Plenty more fish in the sea

There are so many good books out there that you haven't read yet - stories that are completely different to what you're used to that will take you out of your comfort zone and surprise you. Why waste time reading a book you've already read once, twice, three times before when you could discover a new author or a genre you didn't think you liked?

This doesn't go to say that I think re-reading books is silly. If re-reading makes you happy, then go for it. I just don't think I ever will.

--------------

Do you re-read books?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons Why I Love The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

COVID19: A World Without Bookshops?

Bethany's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Martian
tagged: currently-reading
Germinal
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com