BLOGMAS #9: My Favourite Books of 2018

As of the time I am writing today's Blogmas post, I haven't yet reached my Goodreads goal of 15 books in 2018. I am currently on number 14, so hopefully I will get there eventually. However, as the year is drawing to a close, I thought it would be nice to talk about my favourite books I read in 2018.

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi 

Photo taken on Totland Bay, Isle of Wight
I feel like I have not stopped talking about Children of Blood and Bone since I read it. Go and look at my Twitter feed (@b3thanyreads) and you'll see what I mean.

I read this book during the Easter holidays whilst on the Isle of Wight with my family. From the moment I started reading it I knew it was going to become one of my favourite books, and I could not wait to read it all.

First of all, this Waterstones special edition cover is STUNNING. And the story inside is just as beautiful. It's pretty much the perfect book for me - it has high fantasy, magic, interesting characters, and adventure. I can't wait until the next book comes out!

I'm also super proud of Tomi Adeyemi for winning Best Debut Author in the Goodreads Choice awards for this book! Woop woop.

The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

Photo taken in Lugano, Switzerland
I picked up this book just in time for Halloween and it became my dedicated spooky read. My friend said he had seen the film and wasn't particularly blown away, so I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did.

I am a sucker for a good zombie book, and this one is like nothing I've ever read or seen before. It's such a unique concept and I absolutely love it!

I wrote a whole other blog post on this book because I loved it so much, so you can check that out here.









The Shades of Magic series by V. E. Schwab

Photo taken on Totland Bay, Isle of Wight (again)
I just recently (as in last night) finished A Conjuring of Light and OH MY GOD.

Words cannot describe how much I am in love with this series. I think this is the first series I have read from beginning to end since I read Percy Jackson when I was about 11. This is a huge achievement for me, especially because the last book is almost 700 pages long!

I loved everything about this series: the plot, the incredible character development, the made-up language, the magic, the romance and much, much more. 

I'm definitely going to post a whole blog post dedicated to this series soon, so keep your eyes peeled for that.



Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

Photo taken on my kitchen floor.... yeah, not as interesting as the others
Ah, Turtles All the Way Down. How could i forget you?

I'm sure by this point you've heard a million different people gush about this book, but I'd just be lying to myself I didn't include it in this list.

I read this book in 48 hours which is a personal best for me - that's how much I loved it. I related to the main character so deeply that it was overwhelming. Whilst I don't suffer from OCD myself, Aza is a true symbol of what it's like to live with a mental health problem. The book is real and gritty and everything it should be.

I also did a separate review of this one if you're interested - click here.

******

What were your favourite books of 2018?

Comments

  1. Ohh, I have The Girl With All the Gifts but I still haven't read it. I should do it.soon then.
    Also, I read Turtles all the WayvDown but didn't like.it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons Why I Love The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

BLOGMAS #5: Favourite Book I've Received as a Christmas Present

Bethany's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Martian
tagged: currently-reading
Germinal
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com