BLOGMAS #8: My Favourite Christmas Songs

I'm currently on my year abroad teaching English at a Swiss high school and, during the last few weeks of term before Christmas, I was asked to do a lot of 'Christmas in the UK' cultural lessons. I made a PowerPoint about all the traditions we have around this time of year, and then I decided to share the most popular Christmas songs. Going through Spotify Christmas playlists made me so happy, so I decided to dedicate a Blogmas post to it!

'Santa Claus is Comin' to Town (Live)' by Bruce Springsteen


Bruce Springsteen is a strong family favourite in my house, so this song is doing a great job at making me homesick every time I listen to it.... Thanks, Bruce.

Nah, I'm only kidding. Even though the song does remind me of home, it's a nice feeling. I can't wait to be back home singing this song with my sisters at the top of our voices from my Dad's record player in the living room. 

'All I Want for Christmas' by Mariah Carey


Do I even need to say anything? 

If this isn't on your list of favourite Christmas songs then... something's wrong, mate.

'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues


I had such fun showing my students this song. Apparently this never really made it into Europe, which made explaining the lyrics and the music video very... interesting. 

This song never fails to get me in the festive mood. However, I remember watching a documentary about The Pogues last year about how 'Fairytale of New York' kind of haunts them so .... that's a downer.

'Do they Know it's Christmas' by Band Aid


Once again, an absolute classic. I think just about every Englishman is obsessed with this song, mainly because of the Gavin and Stacey Christmas special.

'White Winter Hymnal (Cover)' by Pentatonix


Pentatonix always know how to do Christmas. Their songs will forever wind up on my Christmas playlist, and this is one of my favourites. It's such a great song to sing along to!

*****

What are your favourite Christmas songs?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons Why I Love The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

BLOGMAS #5: Favourite Book I've Received as a Christmas Present

Bethany's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Martian
tagged: currently-reading
Germinal
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com