BLOGMAS #22: The Soundtrack to My 2018

Inspired by Spotify's 'Your Top Songs of 2018' feature, I thought I would go through the soundtrack to my year.

In total, I listened to 101,410 minutes of music on Spotify this year... So, I'm going to try to whittle it down to my top 10 songs I had on repeat for the past 12 months!

10. From Now On, The Greatest Showman

This film was super popular this year so it's no surprise that this song is in my top songs of 2018. 

I saw the film in the cinema with my sisters and absolutely loved it! I especially loved this song - it made me cry! (Unpopular opinion: this song is ever so slightly better than This Is Me).

9. Love Will Tear Us Apart, Joy Division

Obviously I had heard this song way before 2018 but it has a special place in my hear this year.

I was working at Next over the summer for some extra money before my year abroad. One day, my dad gave me a lift to work in our convertible Mini Cooper - we had the roof down, sun shining and blasting this song as loud as it could go. Very stereotypical and cliche but I guess this sort of situation is cliche for a reason.

8. Burning, Sam Smith

2018 was the year I went through a pretty big break up, so there was a lot of listening to Sam Smith...

7. No Tears Left to Cry, Ariana Grande

I think most people will agree that Ariana Grande stormed the music scene in 2018. It would be hard to find anyone who hasn't heard any of her songs this year. 

It was pretty difficult to choose my favourite Ariana Grande song but No Tears Left to Cry is a classic.

6. In Between Days, The Cure

I hadn't heard this song before Paramore covered it for SiriusXM on Youtube. Anything Paramore does I fall in love with so I decided to look up the original. I've had it on repeat since.

5. Hard Times, Paramore

Speaking of Paramore, they are definitely my favourite band. Ever.

Anyone who knows me won't be surprised at me saying that. I have listened to them for almost 8 years now and have loved every single album they put out.

I had Hard Times on repeat for MONTHS after they released their album.

4. Everywhere, Fleetwood Mac

When I went to see Paramore perform in Paris in January, they did an amazing cover of Everywhere.

I had heard this song on the radio before but never thought anything of it until I heard it live. Once again, I looked up the original and couldn't stop listening to it.

3. When the Party's Over, Billie Eilish

I saw Billie Eilish's name all over twitter this year, but always thought she was some indie gal that I wouldn't like. But then her Vanity Fair interview popped up on my recommended on YouTube and the thumbnail intrigued me. From there I looked up her music and now she's in my top 3 songs of 2018.

2. Told You So, Paramore

I. Love. Paramore.

I'm pretty sure this song holds a special place in my heart because it was their opening number when I saw them the first time after releasing their album. Whenever I listen to it it reminds me of how happy I was in that moment (cringe).

1. There Is Power In a Union, Billy Bragg

And so, my top song of 2018 is There Is Power In a Union by Billy Bragg. 

I spent a lot of the past 4 months listening to songs that remind me of home. I briefly mentioned this to my dad in an email and he replied back with a whole list of songs that I should listen to (he had sorted them by theme, obviously). 

There were a few Billy Bragg songs on this list. I didn't recognise any of them by title but as soon as I played them I could remember all the times my parents had blasted his songs in the car and sung at the top of their voices. Nostalgia upon nostalgia. 

****

What were your favourite songs on 2018?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons Why I Love The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

BLOGMAS #5: Favourite Book I've Received as a Christmas Present

Bethany's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Martian
tagged: currently-reading
Germinal
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com