BLOGMAS #20: REVIEW: The Shades of Magic Series

The Shades of Magic series is the first series I've read in its entirety in a really long time. I think the last time I read a series from beginning to end was when I read the Percy Jackson series at age 11ish. So, I thought I would dedicate today's Blogmas post to all my thoughts and feelings about V.E. Schwab's trilogy! (Be warned - major spoilers).

I found out about this series through Hannah's (A Clockwork Reader) YouTube channel, and I always like the books she recommends so I trusted her on this one as well. It took me almost 5 months to read the entire series because I like to space things out and give myself variety in between books. What's cool is that you can see the seasons changing in the photos of the books I took!

A Darker Shade of Magic

Photo taken on Totland Bay, Isle of Wight
First up, 'A Darker Shade of Magic'.

When I first started reading this book I really liked the mad King George character from Grey London. I thought he was really funny and kinda wanted more from him, but I completely understand why he had to die to move the story along.

I must admit the plot got a bit complicated for me at times, even though that means it did keep it interesting, I guess. After finishing ADSOM, I don't think I could have effectively summed up the plot in one sentence because there was a lot going on. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Who knows.

When Lila and Kell's relationship started developing I was totally against it. I felt like their romance was unnecessary, and that's what I hate about YA books (unnecessary romances) so it was annoying to see it in an 'adult' book. However, I thought it was super cute how Kell had a crush on her but she was too cool for him - I'm a big fan of that narrative as it makes Lila so bad ass and I'm down for that.

Throughout the book I found the Kell vs Holland fighting scenes a bits samey. They got repetitive and predictable, especially because there were about 3 or 4 of them in this one book. Although, I didn't mind it too much - I would just skim read most of it.

I absolutely adore the UK covers of this series. What put me off for so long was the US cover because it just didn't look like the type of book I would enjoy. The UK cover, however, made me think it was a completely different book so I bought it without even realising it was that book everyone was banging on about. The perfect example of 'don't judge a book by its cover!!!'

A Gathering of Shadows

Photo taken in Montreux, Switzerland
After really enjoying the first one I was super excited to pick up 'A Gathering of Shadows'. Then I read the blurb and I was even more excited because I found out it was going to be about the Essen Tasch - I love a good competition trope in books.

So if I could sum up my thoughts and feelings about this book in one word it would be: LILA! Lila, Lila, Lila, Lila, Lila, Lila, and Lila.

Need I say more?

Lila is probably one of my favourite characters ever written. She is so bad ass and independent in this book and I loved her character development throughout the whole series but especially in AGOS. She went from being lost in a new world to not only surviving but thriving, even more so than Kell sometimes. 

Remember how I said I wasn't a fan of Kell and Lila's romance? Well, that changed.

Kell and Lila is the first romance I have ever read where I am totally behind them. I just love them together in this book. I think their romance makes a lot more sense now because of Lila became a softie and Kell grew in confidence a little bit. I loved the tension between them! (Side note: I did NOT like Alucard, though. I wanted him to leave her alone).

VE Schwab's writing is incredible. I have nothing negative to say about how the book was written because I didn't notice anything the whole time I was reading the first two books. Everything just flowed perfectly.

However, I don't think AGOS needed to be stretched out to 500 pages. It took me well over a month to finish it because it took me a while to really get into it. Don't get me wrong, the first half was enjoyable, but it just didn't have me on the edge of my seat wanting to read more. I was just pleasantly surprised every time I did decide to pick it up and carry on reading. The second half really won it over for me - lots more drama, action and character development.

A Conjuring of Light

Photo taken in Gruyere, Switzerland
Let's start off by saying the 3rd book is definitely my favourite in the series.

Yup, Lila continues to get even more badass. 

The character development in this book surpasses that of all the others. My favourite character arc of ACOL is Emira's. I loved how Schwab gave her a bit more attention and a backstory - but we all know what happens to a character once the author starts giving them some unprecedented attention...

My favourite Emira quote is:

'The idea of children had always terrified her - they were so small, so fragile, so easily broken. But then came Prince Maxim, with his solid strength, his steel resolve, his kindness like running water under heavy winter snow. She knew what it meant to be queen, what it entailed, though even then she'd secretly hoped it wouldn't happen, couldn't happen. But it did. And for nine months, she'd moved as if cupping a candle in a very strong wind.' (A Conjuring of Light, pg 118)

And then it goes on to talk about her struggle raising Kell as her own son and her difficulties accepting motherhood. It gave her a lot more depth and made her way more human, relatable and likeable in general. I was really hoping we would get more out of her throughout the story which I guess we kinda did but not enough. I was heartbroken when she died.

Holland is probably my least favourite character of the whole series. I know Holland is a character people either love or hate and I'm definitely on the hating side. I could tell towards the end of the second book that he was going to be the focus of the third book, which I wasn't looking forward to. Yeah, I'll admit he can make some pretty funny and witty comments sometimes, but I could just tell Schwab wanted us to fall in love with his imperfections and root for him. I just never grew attached to him. I majorly skim read all of his backstory sections because I just didn't care for it. There was too much Holland and not enough Kell and Lila.

On a more positive note, V. E. Schwab's writing continues to amaze me. Here's an example of how effortlessly beautiful it is:

'Three summers. Three winters. Three years, and the Prince's heart still cracked along the lines Alucard had made.' (A Conjuring of Light, page 239)

Usually when books have a writing style like this I find it annoying and cringey (e.g. 'When the Moon Was Ours by Anne-Marie McLemore). But Schwab adds an element of maturity and class to the same ideas which really set it apart from other books I have been reading recently. 

One more example - Maxim's reaction to Emira's death (I can't resist):

'People spoke of love as if it were an arrow. A thing that flew quick, and always found its mark. They spoke of it as if it were a pleasant thing, but Maxim had taken an arrow once, and knew what it was: excruciating. He had never wanted to fall in love, never wanted to welcome that pain, would have happily faked an arrow's bite. And then he met Emira. [...] He'd spent a year trying to free the barb from his own chest before he realised he didn't want to. Or maybe, he couldn't. Another year before he realised she was injured, too. [...]

But now. Now he felt the would, a shaft driven through his ribs. Scraping bone and lung with every ragged breath, and loss the hand twisting the arrow, trying to rend it free before it killed and doing so much damage in the process. Maxim wanted to be with her. Not the body laid out in the Rose Hall, but the woman he loved.' (A Conuuring of Light, page 534)

My favourite scene in this book is definitely on the floating market with Maris. It reminded me so much of spirited away. I wish we had more of that setting/plot line because it was so interesting and I just loved the vibe it gave off.

To sum up, I just absolutely adore this series. Even though there were a couple of things that annoyed me, I still enjoyed every second of reading it. There was always something happening, the plot was incredibly well thought out with motifs and characters returning at exactly the right moments.

I can't wait to re-read this series because I know I definitely will.

*****

What were your thoughts on the Shades of Magic series?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons Why I Love The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

BLOGMAS #5: Favourite Book I've Received as a Christmas Present

Bethany's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Martian
tagged: currently-reading
Germinal
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com