BLOGMAS #19: Swiss Christmas Food

I'm pretty sure everyone's favourite thing about Christmas is the food. Or at least it has to be in your top 5 favourite things, otherwise that's just illegal.

So, as I'm spending the run up to Christmas in another country, I thought I would talk about what I like about Swiss Christmas food in today's Blogmas post!

Crepes

I know, I know. Crepes in Europe are basically an all year round thing. But there's something extra special about them when you get them at a Christmas market.

There are so many choices, there's always a long queue of people excitedly waiting for their treat, and it warms you up in a very sugary way!

I always get the chocolate crepes (NOT Nutella), and here's one I had at Bulle's Christmas market.


Churros

Here's another Christmas market speciality. Churros!

I know they are originally from Spain but for some reason Christmas markets in Switzerland are littered with churro stalls. Every time you turn a corner, another churro stand will magically appear from thin air.

The great thing about churros is the portion sizes. Every time I've bought churros I've always gone for the 'petit' size. However, I can barely ever finish them and always need a friend to help me out. I can only imagine what the 'grand' size is like!!

Tartiflette, Alplermagronen and Rosti

Moving on from the sweet things we have tartiflette, alplermagronen and rosti. To the best of my understanding, all three of these are some variation of pasta, cheese, potato, bacon and onion, but cooked and assembled differently depending on where in Switzerland they come from.

It's the perfect dinner whilst you're at a Christmas market (especially if you're at one in Switzerland where it's -5 degrees right now). They have been cooking it all day so it stays warm for you and it's just delicious.

Before I move back to England I want to know how to make these glorious dishes!

Cailler Chocolate

And last, but not least, Cailler chocolate.

This is probably more specific to the region of Switzerland I am in, but I'm pretty sure Cailler is a well known chocolate brand no matter where you're from.

Yes, chocolate can be eaten all year round but, like I said before, it's particularly tasty at Christmas. The Cailler factory in Broc has thousands of different flavours and varieties - I've already been there twice and loved it each time.

*****

What are the Christmas foods where you're from?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons Why I Love The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

BLOGMAS #5: Favourite Book I've Received as a Christmas Present

Bethany's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Martian
tagged: currently-reading
Germinal
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com