BLOGMAS #16: My Christmas Eve Traditions


I thought I would do a mini-series within Blogmas about what my family Christmas traditions are, starting with Christmas Eve! So here is what my family and I get up to on Christmas Eve.

To be honest, nothing much happens on Christmas Eve until the evening. 

Both last year and the year before I was working at Next over the Christmas period. As Christmas staff, this meant I was obligated to work on Christmas Eve to get the shop ready for Boxing Day sales - so I was busy for most of the day. From what I can remember, Christmas Eve when I was younger was just full of excitement and bouncing around the house with my sisters.

What we do do every year is go to church in the evening for the Christingle service! For those of you who don't know, Christingle is a Christian (shock) church service to celebrate Jesus, God and everything to do with Christmas. It's like a normal carol service, but everyone is given a Christingle - an orange with a red ribbon tied round it, a candle, and four toothpicks with sweets attached sticking out the top. We all stand in a circle around the church with our Christingle candles lit and sing Silent Night - it's really pretty!

After church, we come home and chill together as a family. It has become a tradition in my family that our mum will give us Christmas pyjamas on Christmas Eve, which we change into immediately and go to bed!

*****

What are your Christmas Eve traditions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons Why I Love The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

BLOGMAS #5: Favourite Book I've Received as a Christmas Present

Bethany's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Martian
tagged: currently-reading
Germinal
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com