BLOGMAS #14: Did I Keep My 2018 Resolutions?

As 2018 comes to a close, it's time to see whether I kept my New Year's resolutions for this year...

(If you want to see my original post, click here)

1. Read 15 books

Yup!! As of a week ago, I hit my Goodreads goal of reading 15 books this year! I had a lot more free time this year because I'm working rather than studying, so I managed to read 3 more books than last year. The year isn't over yet, so I might even read more!

Here are the books I read this year, and links to reviews if I posted them:

How To Stop Time, Matt Haig
Children of Blood and Bone, Tomi Adeyemi
Harry Potter and the Prisoner Azkaban, J.K. Rowling
A Darker Shade of Magic, V.E. Schwab
Notes on a Nervous Planet, Matt Haig
A Gathering of Shadows, V.E. Schwab
A Conjuring of Light, V.E. Schwab
The Tattooist of Auschwitz, Heather Morris
The Walking Dead: Passe Decompose, Robert Kirkman

2. Write more reviews

As you can tell by the pathetic number of links to reviews above, I haven't written very many. But at least I've written some! In 2017, I wrote 7 reviews. In 2018, I managed to write 6...

At least I'm somewhat consistent..?

I usually only write a review for a book that has had a particular effect on me - whether that's I absolutely love it or I absolutely hate it. If a book doesn't really wow me then I'm unlikely to want to write a review on it (other than giving it a star rating on Goodreads).

Overall, I'm proud of myself for posting on my blog in general, especially with taking part in Blogmas this year!

3. Read more non-fiction

Yup, I've definitely managed to read 'more' non-fiction this year! Well, anything is 'more' than the nothing I had read previously.

Overall I read two non-fiction books this year, and am currently in the process of reading my third. Like I said in my 2018 resolutions post, I always had the assumption that non-fiction was boring. So I made a conscious effort to choose books that I knew I would be interested in, and that were also relatively short in length.

This resolution worked out well as 'Notes on a Nervous Planet' has become one of my favourite books of the year!

4. Finish the 'Harry Potter' series

Long story short, I didn't do it.

I got to the third one and gave up. I've mentioned this before, but I just wasn't enjoying the series as much as other people seem to be... I had no desire to keep reading the next books in the series, so I decided to put that idea to bed.

If you want to know why I didn't like it in more detail, click here

5. Try not to freak out about my year abroad

We all knew that wasn't gonna happen.

I tried my best, I really did, but it's impossible NOT to freak out about such a huge thing. However, I managed to channel my anxiety into a positive thing - making sure I was packed and getting everything ready so I had no reason to worry when the time came around.

I am currently 4 months into my year abroad and thoroughly enjoying it. I always knew I would, but it was difficult to see past all the nerves I had before I left.

I wrote more about how I'm doing on my year abroad in a previous Blogmas post, so check that out!

*******

Did you keep your 2018 resolutions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons Why I Love The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

BLOGMAS #5: Favourite Book I've Received as a Christmas Present

Bethany's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Martian
tagged: currently-reading
Germinal
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com