BLOGMAS #12: Christmas Markets in Switzerland

What's Christmas without going to a Christmas market?

As I'm spending the year in one of the most Christmassy places in the world, I thought I would take full advantage of the festivities here in Switzerland. So far I have gone to Christmas markets in three different places, so I thought I would share my experiences for today's Blogmas post!

Montreux, Switzerland

I had heard Montreux held the best Christmas market in Switzerland, so I booked a hotel and off I went.

Firstly, Montreux is up there amongst my favourite places in Switzerland. I came here once before in the summer, but visiting in the winter is an entirely different experience. As you walk down the hill from the station to the lake, you are met with a stunning view.


One of my favourite parts of this Christmas market was how, every so often, the mountains would peep from behind the stalls as you walked by. It was really easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of the crowd and forget about the beautiful scenery just beyond the water. It was a nice surprise every time it caught my eye.

Also, it was even more beautiful once the sun started to set.



Now, the Christmas markets themselves. I remember hearing that Montreux was one of - if not the - biggest markets in Switzerland. (I have to fact check that, I think Basel might be slightly bigger).

With over 150 stalls lining the edge of the lake, you could easily spend a whole day there. I managed to buy presents for my best friend and my sisters! 

We chose to go in the afternoon so we would still be there once the sun set and the lights turned on. 


The market stalls were very 'Swiss', which really added to the experience. I know that Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park, London, tries super hard to look authentic and Christmassy, but doesn't quite achieve it. Montreux is what Winter Wonderland wishes it were.

Geneva, Switzerland

After Montreux, we went to Geneva's Christmas market on the same trip. Geneva is just a 2 hour train journey away from Montreux, making them a good pair. 

Unfortunately, we went at the beginning of December, before the big Christmas market in Geneva had started. So we visited the mini market outside the station, with about 10-12 stalls. However, it didn't disappoint. I managed to get a present for my secret santa present at work!

The Christmas lights in Geneva are also worth a mention - lots of Insta opportunities!

Bulle, Switzerland

I'm assuming you've never heard of Bulle, and that's because it's a small town in the canton of Fribourg. I hadn't heard of it before either before being assigned here for my year abroad. Most guide books describe it as a 'transport hub' that you could explore in less than a day...

But, what it does have going for it, is a very cute Christmas market. Despite being a small town, Bulle's Christmas market has around 80 stalls lining the closed main road. It has much more of a community feel than Geneva and Montreux, mainly because it isn't a tourist destination. I bought myself a candle and some fluffy socks!

The market is beautiful before and after the sun sets - even though there was a nasty cloud rolling in just before I left!

Christmas markets in small towns in Switzerland seem to be only on for a specific weekend, whereas the ones in bigger cities are on for the whole of December. So if you have a specific market in mind, look up when it is before you go expecting to find it. You might miss it!

I'm planning on going to the Gruyeres Christmas market this weekend! So might do another post on that at some point...


*****

Have you been to any Christmas markets yet this year?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Reasons Why I Love The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

REVIEW: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

BLOGMAS #5: Favourite Book I've Received as a Christmas Present

Bethany's bookshelf: currently-reading

The Martian
tagged: currently-reading
Germinal
tagged: currently-reading

goodreads.com